Re: Vote for April 1st?

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004, Martin Albert wrote:
> I really couldn't believe that i had actually read this:
> > The next release of Debian will not be accompanied by a non-free
> > section; there will be no more stable releases of the non-free
> > section. The Debian project will cease active support of the
> > non-free section. Clause 5 of the social contract is repealed.

It is a vote.  What you quote above is just ONE of the possible outcomes of
the vote.

For the record, I am against dropping non-free at this time for some
pragmatic reasons:

  1.  The GFDL issues are not completely resolved, and lots of documents
      are affected by this issue.  Documents that may soon (now?) have to
      be moved to non-free.
  3.  Lots of other important docs are effectively "non-free" (RFCs and
      other technical standards, for example).  This has nothing to do
      with the GFDL.

  I want a proper structure to take care of these documents.  I believe this
  is in the best interest of our users, as per the social contract.

  Right now, "non-free" is this structure, and I do not feel it is
  acceptable to drop that structure without another one to replace it.

  Do remember that the project cannot, at this time, classify documentation
  and software as two separate entities.  Drop non-free, and a lot of
  documentation HAS to be removed, without any hope of being added back in
  the near future.

  So, I am unable to vote for anything other than to keep the current
  structure to support non-free.  I am _not_ going to vote for forsaking
  documentation just to make a token political pressure on someone.

  Henrique Holschuh