Re: P4 optimized Debian GNU/Linux?

Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 03:30:14PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >
> > If you are intrested in using a locally compiled Debian maybe you are
> > willing to sponsor sourcerer.
>
>   If not then I would be interested in testing and potentially
>   sponsoring it.
>
>   (This seems like an ideal way of producing a base system which
>  had been compiled by the SSP compiler I've been toying with).
>
> > I have the setup running on my system successfully but the packaging
> > still needs work. Mainly automating the setup of the initial chroot
> > and providing a nice frontend to manage failed builds. And a nice,
> > configurable gcc/g++ wraper has to be written so people can specify
> > what kind of optimizations they would like.
>
>   If it were me I'd just write a tiny g++/gcc shell script that
>  does something like:
>
>  	#!/bin/sh
> 	/usr/bin/gcc.real `cat /etc/gcc/global.options` $*
>
>   Then use diversions to install it over the relevent file - I've done
>  this with success before.
>
> Steve

The thing is that some packages already set options. Esspecially "-O2"
should be pretty much in everywhere.

I want to compile with "-Os" by default for my router, memory
constrains are far more important that speed there. I can easily add
"-Os" with your approach but the later "-O2" would override the
setting.

This is just one example. Other would be packages that use different
code at runtime and thus compile for non-mmx, mxx, sse, .... Removing
or overriding -mcpu or -march options blindly would most likely break
the compile. And last there are some sources that intentionally use
"-O3" for the time consuming part of the code. I would prefer if thats
kept.

For me I would like a config file that says 'If no -O option is given
or -O2 then add/replace with -Os'. Other will want to add -mcpu or
-march options. I haven't yet found a good syntax and algorithm to
make that kind of option changing/replaing for the general case.

MfG
        Goswin