Re: What about /usr/share/locale. Was: Re: Packaging _still_ wasteful for many large packages

tillea@rki.de (Andreas Tille) writes:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Paul Seelig wrote:
>
> > > It would be really great if someone would go for it and would
> > > care for removing localized help files.
> > >
> > Yes, but it should be taken care of by someone other than me and
> > probably as part of another package then localepurge. Or how about
> > someone doing a fork of localepurge?
>
> Uhm, any reason you asking for a fork?  Are there technical problems which
> let you refuse patches

As it currently stands, localepurge works quite good and doesn't seem
to contain any real problems zones. So i'd rather like to freeze it's
current stable state than accept any new code for it.

Adding the possibility to delete KDE/GNOME localized help files would
mean to have to learn about KDE/GNOME stuff like scrollkeeper even if
i would only to have to include patches. I don't like the idea of
integrating patches containing code i don't understand and i don't
want to have to understand code for stuff i personally don't want to
bother about. So why wouldn't someone else more dedicated than i am
regarding KDE/GNOME create a similar package like localepurge
exclusively for removing KDE/GNOME localized help files?

Another thing is that i'm not very comfortable with the idea of
institutionalizing localepurge even more. As i already wrote in the
package's description files, localepurge should become obsolete as
soon as dpkg/apt permit partial package installations.

> or do you have just time constraints?

Being currently jobless, i have severe money constraints. Anybody have
a job to offer (sysadmin and LaTeX preferred) for me in the Rhein/Main
region (i'm living in Mainz) of Germany so i could pay my next rent?