Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:14:17PM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>
> > Try comparing a python program that aborts due to an exception with a
> > program that handles the error and emits a proper error message. Then you
> > might begin to approximate the subject.
>
> You're comparing apples (program in language A which does handle errors
> correctly) with oranges (program in language B which does _not_).

Actually, you did that - your original claim was about significant
reductions in code size and complexity [by not handling errors]. I
have merely continually pointed out that this is a really bad
tradeoff.

> That's not the subject, as far as I am concerned. For me, the premise is a
> program (in whatever language you'd like) whose programmer didn't handle
> system errors correctly (because if they do there's basically no problem,
> right?) which runs into a system error.
>
> Said error necessarily causes either a sudden program death or bad
> (miscalculated, incomplete, ...) output. I do know which of these two
> results _I_ prefer.

Yes, I'll take the misrendered window over the crashed X server any
day of the week.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |