Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 07:18:08PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:

> On Sat, 21.02.2004 at 17:57:35 +0000, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > I'm not personally aware of any projects over 200k lines and 10
> > full-time developers that aren't a total train wreck.
>
> > Language doesn't matter. Letting a project get that large in the
> > first place is a hefty hint that you've gone way off the rails,
> > and it should probably be split up.
>
> Well, I'd say that both any Linux kernel since 1.something and any BSD
> kernel should well exceed 200k lines. For instance, 2.4.x, one of the
> earlier ones, had roughly 2 million lines according to find + wc.
>
> Want to throw > 90% out in order to make it better in exactly which way?
>
> > (Unless you start stretching the definition of "project" to
> > something like "Debian", which doesn't count)
>
> I'd say that at least the Linux kernels count.

Linux is not a single project in any meaningful sense. You've got the
core kernel, then you've got things like "Linux on powerpc", "XFS",
"SELinux", "video4linux", etcetera. Occasionally some of them get
merged into one tree, which is notorious for being out of date with
respect to most of them.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |