Re: Botched mass bug filing (Re: Packaging _still_ wasteful for many large packages)

Matt Zimmerman writes:

>In the beginning of the thread, the proposal was to only consider larger
>binary packages (.deb >= 10MB), of which there are only about 150 total in
>the archive (and surely not all of these meet the other criteria).  He even
>posted a list:
>
>http://people.debian.org/~93sam/waste.txt
>
>which only has 14 source packages in it, for an upper bound of 14 wishlist
>bugs.  This seemed like a perfectly reasonable proposition to me, and it
>received some support from other members of the mailing list as well.  I
>think that the archive size savings in that scenario were well worth the
>potential Packages file bloat (surely less than 1k in Packages.gz).
>
>Then, DURING THE PROCESS of filing these bugs, and without ANY further
>discussion, Steve changed his mind:
>
>http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/debian-devel-200402/msg00930.html

Hardly - there's several more mails in that thread. I looked at
several more packages with different criteria, and then backed down
twice from the largest number of bugs to file (400 to 242 to
144). Possibly I should have been stricter still. Discussion on the
list seemed to have finished, and I had several mails from people
asking for advice on how to fix what they agreed were obvious bugs in
their packages.

>completely changing the criteria, resulting in hundreds of bugs being filed,

Don't exaggerate - 144 is not "hundreds".

>against packages like the ~1MB moon-lander.  The bugs were also incorrectly
>filed with Severity: normal, and sent to submit@ rather than maintonly@.

And Josip said use Severity: normal. Yes, I should have used maintonly
and some of these bugs were over-zealous. Sorry for those. But I've
seen generally positive feedback both here and in private mail...

"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm
 afraid I'll miss my stop" -- Vivek Dasmohapatra