Re: Packaging _still_ wasteful for many large packages

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:42:52AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> /usr/share contents > 2MB   OR  % of package in /usr/share > 80%
>
> gives me a list of of 2338 individual .deb files in sid, or 242
> packages - see http://people.debian.org/~93sam/waste3.txt
>
> 4MB or 85% give me 1368 .deb files, or 144
> packages. (http://people.debian.org/~93sam/waste4.txt)

I would go only for "obvious" cases (lets say the top 50 or so),
and try to write a lintian/linda check for it and wait a few months
to observe if things are changing.

Reasoning: I would go for a number that I can observe afterwards to
gain some experiences from it (and to be able to discuss each of them).
Simply filing 250 bugs and then perhaps not be able to follow up on them
is not the way I like.
If you see in a few months that the problem is getting worse, come back.

Side note: And I predict that there will be a fair number of new RC
bugs à la "foo-data doesn't replace foo" after such a bug filing :/

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/