Re: ntp 4.2.0 in experimental

"Matthias Urlichs" <smurf@smurf.noris.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Goswin von Brederlow:
> > So every user now installing ntp will contact the same timeserver?
>
> pool.ntp.org resolves to one of (currently) 15 servers.

Assuming one million debian users thats still a big traffic increase.

I'm also in the group of people that have one timeserver on the
gateway and all other systems configured to use that. Now I have to
configure bind to answere for pool.ntp.org with the routers IP for
easiest configuration of the rest.

> > What was wrong with using the debconf resource to configure ntpdate
> > and ntpd at the same time?
>
> ntp.conf was not a conffile. It got overwritten every time NTP was
> updated.
>
> I do know that we could have parsed that file and edited the server
> configuration in-place. However, nobody wanted to spend the time
> implementing and testing that, and keeping things as they were is
> out of the question.

Ucf is a good middle ground there. I think I would have prefered that.

> Personally, I do not have a problem with reinstating debconf support if
> somebody does that work.

MfG
        Goswin