Re: [custom] Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:30:01PM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > (Incidentally, the NTP howto recommends configuring your machine to
> > consult *three* geographically proximate lower-stratum servers for best
> > results -- so it sounds like these new "reasonable defaults" contradict
> > the advice of upstream?)

> These days, network topology correlates quite badly to geography.

And round-robin DNS correlates to it not at all.  My reference to
"geography" was intended as convenient shorthand only; I have in fact
selected our NTP peers based on round-trip time, and the RTT does happen
to correlate with geographical proximity.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer