Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Friday 13 February 2004 14:36, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 02:58:38PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > This has benefits in other areas too, of course, although it is much
> > cited as one of the problems of stable; but the benefits of this system
> > should be pointed out too, I think.
>
> stable being old is a feature. Calling it a problem is an exercise in
> the apples and oranges fallacy (mismatched objectives).

That is SO true. In a commercial environment with a large number of computers,
it is really important that the software NOT be upgraded every few months.
Our clients used SuSE before switching to Debian and the 3-4 releases a year
was costing us a fortune in upgrade man-hours and travel costs.

Debian/stable completely solved that problem.

I have a personal machine that can boot either sarge or sid so I can do my bit
to help bring 3.1 to life, but the fact that woody is so stable is an
absolute life saver. IMHO the Debian software release model is close to
perfect, it gives us the best of all worlds.

Steve