Re: ntp 4.2.0 in experimental

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 04:06:31AM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> > It is possible to make the package configure itself at install time by
> > using pre-seeded debconf answers like the version currently in
> > unstable?

> No, sorry. We decided to remove debconf entirely because there are
> basically two classes of people using ntp:

> - People who have their own NTP network. They need to do hand-edit
> /etc/ntp.conf to do some customization (subnet broadcast, secret
> keys, ACLs...) anyway.

> - People who don't. Most of them can happily use pool.ntp.org as their NTP
> server, which is the default we're shipping with => no debconf needed.

Hmm.  I don't think I fall into either category.  I have large numbers
of Debian servers which all use Kerberos, which means they all run ntp.
We run a single ntp server locally, that all the other machines point
at; since being in sync with the KDC is more important here than being
precisely in sync with the outside world, this provides a comparatively
reliable method of achieving this goal.  It reduces the load we impose
on busy public NTP servers, and there's been minimal need for config
customization (firewalls can take care of most such issues).

Which group would you classify our site in?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer