Re: Re: w3m -> standard, lynx -> optional

Dear diary, on Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:32:07AM CET, I got a letter,
where David B Harris <dbharris@eelf.ddts.net> told me, that...
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:26:47 +0100
> Petr Baudis <pasky@ucw.cz> wrote:
> >   interesting. Well, w3m uses colors to distinguish buttons and headings
> > etc. (E)Links instead uses colors as was specified in the document
> > (therefore, the page looks more like the author intended). Both has its
> > benefits I suppose. You can already disable document colors in ELinks, I
> > suppose I could add the w3m-style coloring support if there was a demand
> > for it. (I didn't receive any suggestion that people want it yet.)
>
> With respect to this discussion, though I suspect the decision's already
> been made (I don't think it's a particularily bad one - w3m is pretty
> capable; I prefer elinks though), caching support is probably more
> important. Or, rather, good caching support. Just earlier in
> #debian-devel somebody mentioned it.
>
> Colors are nice and all, but consistency (with other browsers) in
> something as fundamental as caching is probably more important. People
> have grown used to caching being pretty transparent, without the need to
> manually kick off downloads or tweak things.

I see, fair enough. I agree that this is pretty important. Well, maybe
we'll make it as a default browser in a few weeks or months ;-).

> (For those who aren't familiar with it, elinks doesn't expire cached
> pages, you need to manually reload them. What's more, multiple elinks
> instances share the same cache, so if you've got some forgotten instance
> running somewhere with a page you're trying to view already loaded,
> you'll possibly get a very outdated page.)

Actually, it is going to get good caching support in just few days in
CVS, but I suppose it will take few weeks to hit the releases...  (In
fact, it is OTOH the thing which frequently makes ELinks "feel a lot
faster" on slow links, as someone said here. ;-)

Kind regards,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.