Re: new portmap packages, testers wanted

Le lun 19/01/2004 à 21:58, Marc Wilson a écrit :
> I'd rather see this than the proposed behavior.  You can't have it both
> ways... either you're trying to protect the desktop moron, or you're trying
> to facilitate a server arrangement.

I'm not one of those who believe a good desktop distribution has to be
more complicated for the server range.

> If the stated goal is to protect the desktop moron, then DO IT.  Configure
> hosts.allow and hosts.deny to allow the portmapper to be protected from
> anything other than a local address.  An administrator should be smart
> enough to set things up properly if he needs something additional.

Debian on servers is about typing "apt-get install foo" and having foo
work immediately, not after some random configuration. If an
administrator installs a NFS server, he obviously doesn't want to make
it available only to local connections. Anything making it more
complicated is a disservice to our users.