Re: new portmap packages, testers wanted

On Jan 18, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:

 > >An updated package is available at
 > >http://people.debian.org/~joss/packages/
 > >along with updated versions of packages which *do* require portmap to
 > >listen to remote interfaces, such as NIS or NFS. This version will not
 > >answer to requests from remote hosts unless told so in
 > >/etc/default/portmap or by one of these packages.
 >I don't know what you did exactly to the package, but what is wrong with
 >using libwrap as usual?
I looked at the package. It sucks, badly. It creates a new
debian-specific configuration file for no real reason, while we already
have the perfectly good and standard /etc/hosts.* files.
If you feel that a listening portmap is such an unacceptable security
risk then have it accept only connections from localhost by default, and
ask admins to configure /etc/hosts.allow (like they are supposed to do
anyway).

I ask aj, who is still the netbase maintainer, to not allow this.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [4186 riu13UIwl2oLo]