Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Josselin Mouette <josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Le sam 17/01/2004 à 12:39, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
> > If not for amd64 then for mips, sparc and ppc.
> >
> > I don't consider "lets do something dirty and special for amd64" a
> > solution to the multiarch problem so I'm pretty much ignoring all
> > arguments starting with "But for amd64 ...".
>
> Why? And why should apply the same solution to different issues?
>
> > Finding a solution for amd64 alone means the exact same problem
> > remains for the rest and then you have 3 different ways to support:
> > single arch, amd64 and general multiarch.
>
> The proposed solution for amd64 means almost no modification to our
> current setup, so we can easily neglect the amount of required changes
> compared to multiarch support.

Even on amd64 using i386 binaries, patching tools and recompiling them
for i386 is very common. I don't want to give up that choice. Dropping
i386 developement support would mean I have to stop checking if I
break i386 when patching or go through all the trouble of working on
two computers (or chroots).

You also shift the work from fixing dpkg for multiarch to developing a
32bit crossdevelopment toolchain. But dpkg will still need to get
fixed for other archs. Thanks, you just split our work force. :)

MfG
        Goswin