Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:20:00PM +0100, Claus Färber wrote:
> > Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> schrieb/wrote:
> > > And the biggest job is changing every library package to build the
> > > amd64 flavour and put its libraries into /lib64/. But that can be done
> > > step by step as needed to compile binaries for amd64
> >
> > The method of putting libraries into /lib/ and /lib64/ does not work if
> > you want to have i386 and ppc, for example, on the same system. While
> > this is not possible at the moment, it will be once someone writes a
> > good CPU emulator... (or with CLI).
> >
> > IMO multiarch support could be designed in a way that allows such
> > future cases to work, too:
> >
> > . .so files are put into /lib-<arch> or /usr/lib-<arch>.
> >
> > . /lib/ and /usr/lib are populated with symbolic links to the libraries
> >   for the native architecture by ldconfig;
> >   on amd64 /lib64/ and /usr/lib64/ are used instead and /lib/ and /usr/
> >   lib/ are used for links to leagacy 32 bit libs.
> >
> > . non-.so-library files (which usually provide the same interface for
> >   calling programs) are kept in /lib/ and /usr/lib/ as usual.
>
> Which reminds me; why couldn't the 32-bit libraries on an amd64 system
> be placed in /usr/i386-linux? We do something similar for
> cross-compiling environments. Also we used /usr/i486-linuxlibc1 for the
> libc5 -> 6 upgrade. And do we need separate /lib and /usr/lib for 32-bit
> libraries, or can we assume that we can at least boot entirely with
> 64-bit binaries?

Compatibility with old and binary-only packages and the rest of the
world.

> I think if you only wanted to provide 32-bit libraries for compatibility
> with evil binary-only software, you could provide a libc6-32_amd64.deb,
> which might itself be built by an amd64-hosted i386-cross-compiler, if
> such a thing can be built.

But we want full compatibility. Amd64 uses its own packages in
parallel with existing binary-i386 packages. No need to compile them
again on amd64 and increase the archive size. Thats the goal.

MfG
        Goswin