Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:46:46PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > I think if you only wanted to provide 32-bit libraries for compatibility
> > with evil binary-only software, you could provide a libc6-32_amd64.deb,
> > which might itself be built by an amd64-hosted i386-cross-compiler, if
> > such a thing can be built.
>
> But we want full compatibility. Amd64 uses its own packages in
> parallel with existing binary-i386 packages. No need to compile them
> again on amd64 and increase the archive size. Thats the goal.

Lots of people have posted to say they want a full amd64 distribution
with everything recompiled, and I agree. So then apart from support for
source-less i386 binaries, why do we need the ability to install i386
packages?

Hamish