Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

* Bart Schuller (schuller@lunatech.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:25:21PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Repeating myself again in the hope you might read it this time:
> >
> > The main reason for /lib and /lib64 on amd64 by now is because
> > everyone else is doing it.
>
> And writing standards about it too. It's in the LSB.

The LSB also says all packages must specify an architecture of x86_64
and is distributed under the GFDL.  I don't readily see where it
references /lib64 except for the loader and to say that libraries should
be in a directory.

> A not unimportant reason for wanting proper support for biarch in
> Debian is that is what the users of these systems want. I know I bought
> my Athlon64 for the specific purpose of having a compatible,
> comfortable, fast x86 system, yet with the possibility of speeding up
> specific programs. Add to that the ability to mmap all the hd space in
> my machine (I know I'm going to have fun playing with object databases).

What the users *want* is a useful 64bit system sometime within the next
millenium.  Then there's the issue that 64bit on amd64 is *faster*, as
well as able to address a decent amount of memory.  Speeding up certain
programs shouldn't be (and isn't) what we're interested in.  Providing a
distribution that takes advantage of the capabilities of the
architecture is much more what we're shooting for.

> You may think that these processors are exotic, but in a couple of
> months most people who'd normally buy a slightly faster than average AMD
> processor will suddenly have a 64 bit machine.

I hardly see them as exotic, I've got 3 dual-proc ones that I've been
trying to get something useful on.  Most people will also be running
Windows on their 64bit machine.

	Stephen