Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Le dim 11/01/2004 à 08:00, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
> The currently implemented idea was to rename the amd64 package of
> libfoobar to lib64foobar and have amd64 binary packages depend on that
> name instead. libfoobar.so goes to /lib and lib64foobar.so to
> /lib64. That works so far.

Am I the only one to think the whole /lib64 idea is fundamentally
broken? We already have ia64 without this. We can build a very similar
system for amd64, introducing a new arch. Then, ship a few 32-bit
compatibility libraries for 32-bit proprietary software.

Or is this choice made just because Redhat already made it? What is good
for Redhat is not necessarily good for us. We already have 64-bit
arches, we already deal with them properly, and we need almost no
changes to our infrastructure to introduce amd64 as a whole new arch.