Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 04:37:39PM -0800, Nano Nano wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 04:10:11PM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> > Why?  It's a development version and highly unstable.  Might theoretically
> > be appropriate for experimental, but certainly not for a release.
>
> Is it fair to say "unstable" in Debian "unstable release" means
> "possibly unstable" and "experimental" means "known to be unstable" ??

There is no "unstable release" of Debian.  The only release of Debian is
the current stable, that being Woody 3.0r2, and before it Potato 2.2r2.

> Anyway, lots of CVS things are in unstable.

And most are marked as such and usually accompanied by a normal package
that actually works. ^_^

> But I get your point.  I realized after I posted I'd tried it once it it
> is very unstable.  I thought maybe I just hadn't configured it correctly.

No, it's twitchy as all hell.

> From: Simon Bowden <simonb@cse.unsw.EDU.AU>
> cc: fluxbox-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Fluxbox-users] Starting an app "Maximized"
> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:39:07 +1100 (EST)
>
> I believe that gtk_window_maximize uses the
>
> _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_(VERT|HORZ)
>
> atoms. These aren't supported in Fluxbox 0.1.x. They are supported in
> current devel releases (0.9.x, cvs), so perhaps try one of these
> instead.

Hm... I don't claim to be any sort of EWMH guru, but what are you trying to
accomplish with those?  Those are hints indicating the current condition of
the window, is all.  Any application window can have them set, assuming the
right condition applies.  You interrogate the _NET_WM_STATE atom to
determine that.  The _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS atom defines whether the
window responds to attempts by the window manager to set those (and other)
properties.

Are you expecting the window manager to set them on the window, or to do
something when it sees them set on the window?  As usual, wm-spec 1.3 is
ambiguous on the subject.

Or are you trying to use something like wmctl to force them set and then
have the window manager follow along?

If you want a window manager with exceedingly good EWMH compliance (and
excellent performance), may I recommend Openbox 3.1 to you?  You can find
it's statement of compliance with the specification here:

http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/openbox/COMPLIANCE?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
(sorry, it's a very long URL)

--
 Marc Wilson |     Debian Hint #2: You can use 'dpkg-reconfigure
 msw@cox.net |     <package>' to change the answers you gave to the