Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x,mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

* Julian Mehnle (lists@mehnle.net) wrote:
> The reason why we did not want to create a completely separate arch for
> amd64 was that every self-contained arch consumes huge quantities of space
> since almost all arch-dependant binary packages have to be duplicated for
> the arch.  But in the case of amd64 (and some other archs), many packages
> can be reused from legacy archs without significant performance penalties,
> so only few packages (where it makes sense performance-wise) would need to
> be recompiled for amd64.

Personally, I disagree that this is really such a bad thing.  I, for
one, would really rather have everything recompiled for amd64.  The disk
space used really *isn't* all that bad, and I don't think we should be
driven by disk space usage regardless.  For amd64, at least, alot of the
packages will benefit from the additional registeres and ability to
address more memory.

	Stephen