Re: udev and /sys mounting [was: mounting tmpfs (and sysfs) defaultly in sarge?]

At Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:32:58 -0700,
Joel Baker wrote:
> > I discussed with Miquel van Smoorenburg (initscripts maintainer) that
> > he would to integrate this mount operation from
> > /etc/init.d/mountkernfs (in glibc package) to
> > /etc/rcS.d/S35mountall.sh (in initscripts package) or so.
> >
> > I basically agreed his idea because this mount operation in
> > /etc/init.d/devpts.sh or /etc/init.d/mountkernfs are not glibc related
> > issue.  All mount operations should be integrated into one package.  I
> > think Miquel will mail this issue soon in detail.
> >
> > So I think it's good idea to wait releasing newer glibc package to sid
> > before our discussion reaches an agreement, because my mountkernfs
> > works are still included in the current debian glibc cvs.
>
> You can short-stop a bug that will show up, eventually, if you care to. The
> S35mountall.sh script should check that it's on an OS that has some concept
> of devpts, usbfs, usbdevfs, etc, before actually trying to mount them...
> (or maybe it already does, and I missed it, in which case I'll go hide in a
> corner over here).

Exactly, I think too.  /etc/init.d/devpts.sh checks OS version, but
mountall.sh in initscripts does not check.  Miquel, please check and
fix it if it's not considered for other OS like bsd* and hurd.

BTW, I wonder why this mountall.sh is ok for bsd* and hurd...

Regards,
-- gotom