Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 13:32, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Isaac Clerencia writes:
> > On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 00:26, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> >> Perhaps debconf could be changed to use gettext instead.  I.e. when
> >> it sees a translatable string in a template, it calls gettext on
> >> it.  That way, all the translation packages have to do is to put
> >> the .(g)mo files in the right location.
> > debconf is already able to use gettext, see po-debconf
> > lots of packages already use debconf with gettext
> Yes, but the difference is that the only thing po-debconf changes is
> that the different translations are now not stored in one big file in
> the package anymore, but in several separate files in the package.
> The keywords are "in the package", and for the translators, po-debconf
> fixes some encoding problems, but doesn't address the other problems
> with the current system.

You're right, it's a real pain when you have to upload your package
several times because of new .po files.

It would be perfect if they would be maintained out of the package.

Isaac Clerencia  | Using Debian GNU/Linux | JID: isaaccp@jabber.org
 Alternativas libres :: http://alts.homelinux.net
 Mi bitacora         :: http://barrapunto.com/~guacamayo/bitacora
Please encrypt your messages when e-mailing me, GPG ID: 54E672DE