Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

Op wo 07-01-2004, om 16:34 schreef Dominique Devriese:
> Colin Watson writes:
> >> OK, the problem of filing bugs on every individual package, and
> >> praying they get accepted, remains.
> > Don't pray that they get accepted. Take the initiative and NMU in
> > the usual way after some suitable period. Everyone else doing
> > general work on our packages has to do exactly the same thing; what
> > gives translators a different status?
> Basically because there is a better alternative for translators.

Such as? I've seen a proposal, but it's not a "better alternative".

> For
> other people doing "general work", there often isn't any.  If you
> think there is, feel free to propose that as a separate proposal,
> instead of trying to discourage this one.
>
> I mean, how can you really see this as a valid argument against the
> proposal.  I have indicated real and fundamental problems with the
> current approach, a new system, with real and proven advantages,

Sorry, but that's not true.

KDE != Debian. For one thing, Debian works with package uploads; it does
not use a central CVS server as the KDE project does. That's more than
just an implementational detail, it's a real organizational difference,
which has impacts on many areas of how we work. For another, it's not
unreasonable for the KDE project to assume that a user would install the
entirety of KDE on his system, or at least that he would install most of
it; so having a few unused translated strings on a system is not really
a problem. The same cannot be said for the Debian distribution -- it's
not even technically possible to install everything should one want to.
Therefore, providing a package with translated debconf messages will put
our users before a dilemma: either they install a huge package with
translated strings of which they will perhaps use 10% (having the
remaining part of the package use up valuable diskspace), or they can
forget about translated installations. This isn't true when you're
considering translations to different languages being shipped in the
same package; there's localepurge to fix that issue.

Your suggestion does have proven advantages, but they apply to a
completely different environment which can in no way be compared to
Debian.

> and
> all you say here is "I don't like to change.  Furthermore, in
> completely different situations, we also use NMUs".  Please provide
> arguments based on advantages and disadvantages of the proposed
> system.

Those arguments have been given. Two examples: there are dependency
problems, and the approach discourages a maintainer to perform QA on the
provided translations.

What Colin says here is that in Debian, the canonical way of doing work
on a package of which you are not the maintainer is to do an NMU of that
package. Creating per-language packages is an option, but it has a
price, and the advantages do not necessarily outweigh its disadvantages;
therefore, I think Colin suggests (and I agree) that translators should
use NMU's when their contributions aren't incorporated. After all,
that's what NMU's are for.

--
Wouter Verhelst
Most people have two reasons for doing anything -- a good reason, and