Re: Bits from the RM

Op di 02-12-2003, om 14:46 schreef Mark Howard:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 06:56:13PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> > A release critical bug in one package could be caused by a non-release
> > critical bug in another package.
>
> How?

A program could use some library for most of its core operation, and
fail miserably because of a little bug in said library. This bug could
result in the entire package becoming useless, thus would be a grave
bug:

grave
        makes the package in question unusable or mostly so, or causes
        data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the
        accounts of users who use the package.

"grave" is an RC severity.

If that program would not use everything available in the buggy library,
it could be the case that the right severity for the bug against the
library would be either "important" or "normal"; consider the
possibility of a graphical library which does 3D rendering mostly, but
has the possibility of doing 2D graphics as well. A bug in the 2D
rendering bits of that library would not be grave (maybe not even
important) for that library, although it would certainly be valid to
file it as a grave bug against any package that only uses said library
for the 2D rendering possibilities. Since "important" and "normal" bugs
are not RC bugs...

(blatantly ignoring the fact that the RM and his team can choose to
ignore RC bugs, or make bugs RC if they're not really RC by themselves
here...)

> If the bug is caused by a problem in another package then it should be
> reassigned (and more importantly fixed).

Of course.

> The bug is still RC, even if it only affects dependent packages.

Not always.
--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."