Re: [custom] Re: Custom Debian Distributions (was: Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?))

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Enrico Zini wrote:

> Could you please define precisely "flavours" and "derivative distros"?
>
> I see no problems in documenting that the name "Custom Debian" includes
> "Flavours" and "Derivative Distros", and then define what they are.
>
> It would be a nice way to make sure that we all agree with the meaning
> of terms, to ease further discussion.  For example, I have a clear
> meaning for Custom Debian, but I don't know how shared it is.
>
> On the other end, I feel that if you see Flavours and Derivative Distros
> as subsets of Custom Debians, then we might have different concepts in
> mind.

This may help.  I produce an Enhanced 3.0r2 Debian CD set with packages
like OOo and security updates etc.  This is produced using a somewhat
modified debian-cd.  The resulting installation is standard Debian with
extras.   --- A "Custom Debian".

I also produce the unofficial GNU Hurd CDs.  While the scripts used to
build these images are derived from Debian they are different.  Most of
the packages come from the Debian archive, but many do not.
-- A "Debian Derivative".
This description would also fit Knoppix, Libranet and Zandros.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz