Re: [custom] Re: Custom Debian Distributions (was: Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?))

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Philip Charles wrote:

> This may help.  I produce an Enhanced 3.0r2 Debian CD set with packages
> like OOo and security updates etc.  This is produced using a somewhat
> modified debian-cd.  The resulting installation is standard Debian with
> extras.   --- A "Custom Debian".
... which shows why I've got problems with the term "Custom Debian" because
it is missleading people who do not see it as successor of the formerly
called "Debian Internal Projects".

> I also produce the unofficial GNU Hurd CDs.  While the scripts used to
> build these images are derived from Debian they are different.  Most of
> the packages come from the Debian archive, but many do not.
> -- A "Debian Derivative".
> This description would also fit Knoppix, Libranet and Zandros.
This is right but under the terms we defined in Oslo also your first
example belongs to this group.  The problem is that there was no
official announcement where "Custom Debian" was *defined*.  Because
I'm no native speaker and was not involved in finding the name I
did not want to do such an announcement myself.

Kind regards

          Andreas.