Re: Custom Debian Distributions (was: Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?))

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:57:01PM +0100, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > Some of our work is and can not be, for technical reasons, part of the
> > vanilla Debian but we're working hard on fixing this and we're not
> > unlike something like experimental in that way really.
>
> And like I said: derivative distributions, like Debian-NP, Knoppix,
> Adamantix, whatever, are a Good Thing. IMO, there's absolutely no need to
> justify yourself with "we're trying to integrate it back in, really
> we are!"
There is in fact no need to say this because it is Free Software.  I guess
he just wanted to say that he did not forgot what we talked about in Oslo
that going the integration way is the better one *in the long term run*
and he has not forgot that we keep long term development in mind.

> > We also decided that flavors, subprojects, metadistros, and other
> > projects who were interested in customizing Debian *from within* and
> > that "Custom Debian Distribution" was the term we could all agree on
> > and that we all thought was clear.
>
> Sure, that's a good general term, but it conflates both flavours and
> derivative distros. Which is the same as saying "human" conflates both
> "men" and "women" -- sometimes you want to ignore the differences,
> but sometimes you don't.
Because I'm no native speaker I keept a low profile in the name discussion
and I was not able to took part in the meeting where people agreed to
"Custom Debian Distributions".  If you ask me now I would prefer Flavours
much more because I have seen in the past that "Custom Distribution" is even
more confusing for users than "Internal Project" which was the name before
and was replaced in Oslo because of confusion with other Debian projects
which keep other goals in mind.

> (Or, alternatively, we want people *not* to have to make the choice
> between runing Debian and having a custom distribution)
This would be a perfect world. ;-)

Kind regards

          Andreas.