Re: Kernel source 2.4.22 and ipvs problems

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:12:03PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Bao C. Ha <bao@hacom.net> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to patch the kernel 2.4.22 and got into troubles.  It seems
> > that the Debian kernel has been patched to do away the pmtu field of
> > the struct dst_entry (include/net/dst.h).
> >
> > Any sugegstions on how to get it working again.  The last working Debian
> > kernel with IPVS is 2.4.20.
>
> You can either use a vanilla kernel, or unapply the IPSEC patch as
> documented in the README.Debian file.

Why is the ipsec patch applied by default in the debian kernel? Asking
users to unapply a patch that shouldn't be in the stable kernel in the
first place is unacceptable. Telling them to use the "vanilla kernel"
makes them lose the security updates, the only ones that should be
applied to debian's kernel-source packages.

This whole thing is a unintuitive mess that has certainly caused more
aggravation than benefited anyone. How was the old system of having a
separate ipsec patch broken?

--
They can have my jeans, as soon as they pry them off my dead, cold ass.
-- (Spackler on /. about corporate dress code becoming formal again)