Re: A new way to specify versionned dependencies may be needed

(Sorry Daniel for first sending this e-mail to you only by mistake.)

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 04:06:42PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:55:09PM +0200, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > How about "Depends: foo (<< A) | foo (>> B)"?
> >
> > No, my package does not depend in any way on foo. Depending on foo only
> > to prevent a few specific versions of foo to be installed would be evil,
> > AFAICS...
>
> The best extant solution to this is just to Conflicts: foo (<= B).
> Forcing an upgrade isn't such a bad thing...

Well, that depends. For example, if testing as a version << A of foo,
and we are getting close to a release, conflicting with that version for
no good reason would be somewhat broken. (That's roughly the current
situation with foo=dvb-dev, A=1.0.0, B=1.0.1 and my
package=em8300-headers.)

Moreover, that does not answer to my real question: is there a good
reason not to implement such an extended syntax for versionned
relationships. If there is no good reason, I might try to implement such
a thing and provide it to the maintainers of dpkg...

Regards,

Nicolas