Re: Re: Where are we now? (Was: Bits from the RM)

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:50:09AM -0700, Chris Jantzen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:14:25PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > > And as aptitude is kinda useable it might
> > >well replace dselect as the recommended method.
> >
> > Please don't do this yet, since dselect is still more self-documenting,
> > and therefore easier for new people to use.  :-P
>
> Easier for new people to use?!?
>
> /me rolls off chair laughing.
>
> I sincerely hope the ":-P" means you are using sarcasm.

Quite seriously, I prefer using dselect... the main complaint
I've heard from new users is being able to search for a specific
package quickly. As soon as I teach them about / for find and
\ for find again, they generally find it just as useful as I do.

It's not perfect, but in almost all cases, when I'm installing or
removing a an app or utility on my system I do so with dselect.
Now, upgrades are I handle solely with apt-get, but that's because
it's clearly easier than going through dselect and the packages.

Though of course, I should fiddle with aptitude some more, but
overall I agree that dselect is rather usable as long as people
make the effort to read the docs or help before deciding they
hate it.

-
Ervin

--