Re: IMPORTANT: your message to html-tidy

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:28:11 +1000
Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> i'd be reluctant to do that on my home server.  the risk would be many times
> greater on my work servers.....and, oddly enough, i care about little
> details like whether my mail server is dying under the load or not.

    Mine isn't.  By my estimate even on older hardware it wouldn't.  You're
making a statement which is not true.

> so, if it doesn't scale, i'm not interested in it.  i'm generally only
> interested in things that can scale up to large servers and heavy loads.

    Given the fact that your scaling doesn't jive with what people here have
reported because of the small factor of the server you were running being
clogged doing something else I don't think that's a fair assessment of the
system.

> because you have to design a system to cope with PEAK load, not minimal or
> even average load.  if a system can't cope with (at least!) what it is going
> to get at peak, then it is broken.

    Yeah, and?  Several people have pointed out that this system on your
hardware CAN handle the peak load with ease.  In fact it could do it several
times over.

> also, you can not extrapolate linearly from a light, bursty load to heavy
> sustained load.  that does not work.  the effects of sustained heavy load
> are qualitatively different, not just quantitively.

    Granted.  But I was pointing out that your claims that cramming each
message through several thousand postfix rules before handing it off to SA so
your machine could handle it were untrue.  I have also since pointed out that
your "bursty load to heavy load" is well within the limits of the system
proposed.

> when you get experience on real mail servers, you may begin to understand
> this.

    I *HAVE* experience with real mail servers.  News flash, you don't know my
professional background nor what jobs I've taken on freelance.  You have no
idea whether or not I have worked on a "real mail server".  You're assuming I
haven't because I dare argue with your holiness Sir Craig Sanders of the Duchy
taz.net.au.  I find it laughable that you cannot conceive of someone else with
experience NOT agreeing with you.  You're wrong.  Get over yourself.
Furthermore, stop lying and learn how to read.  Several people have pointed
out that the system we're talking about fits well within the bounds of what
you had originally said.

> i have made up my mind.  what's more, i have the experience and knowledge to
> justify my decisions.

    So do I.  I also have math showing the system scales well within your
needs *AND* third parties independently confirming that math.  But I forget,
Craig said it so it must be right.