Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: knoppix/bootcd like software?

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:28:34AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> remastering is only a hack.

Agreed. I don't think it's the way to go (but it's currently the only one)

> we need a script, that make a knoppix and use only the base system with
> auto hw-detection. All other packages can be installed on request and
> maybe this make-knoppix script start some extra scripts etc.

Agreed again, maybe I did not get my point across but precisely what
metadistros is trying to deliver is a semi-automatic way to build the
chroot system that will hold the system that gets burned in the CD.

> and Knoppix is a _live_cd_. On a live cd you don't run apt-get update
> (maybe sometime with a layeredfs/mergefs/...) and if you change
> something, after the next boot you don't see any changes.

I know that these packages might be completely inoffensive _for_ knoppix.
But that does not mean we cannot take them "as is" and provide them in
Debian too. Some might need to be changed from automatic configuration into
scripted configuration in order to not violate policy.

I.e. I don't want to donwload any *config package from knoppix and have it
change my system through postinst. There might or might not be packages
that do this at http://www.knopper.net/download/knoppix/
I certainly have not had time to review them (at all). And this is also
something that should be done.

> Maybe we should change the policy and some parts about live cd systems.

Don't expect that to be done just for the sake of making live cds.

Javi