Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: knoppix/bootcd like software?

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 08:35:42AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Javier [iso-8859-1] Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
>
> > 	Yes. The software knoppix uses (save for cloop) is not packaged
> > (but its GPLd) IIRC.
> Could someone who knoow the facts better than my perhaps file an RFP / ITP bug?
>
> > 	Other people have answered on this already. But just my 2c here.
> > Remastering (i.e. taking an already available Knoppix CD and making a new
> > one out of it) is quite easy, as shown in the number of Knoppix-based
> > distributions out there. Several HOWTOs are available [1]
> In my opinion it is not the question whether it is easy or not.  Remastering
> Knoppix means in any case getting a > 700 MB file from a limited set of mirrors.
> This will become a hard task in the future and makes really no sense if you
> just need a limited subset of the data on this iso image.  It would be
> *really* stupid to grab a complete iso image just to remaster the latest
> Knoppix where just some files might be changed.

remastering is only a hack.

the knoppix use packages from all debian distributions (stable, unstable
and testing) and some privat packages.

amu make a knoppix only with woody and ralfs kde packages per hand. This
kdenoppix (?) will be installable and you have a real woody system.

we need a script, that make a knoppix and use only the base system with
auto hw-detection. All other packages can be installed on request and
maybe this make-knoppix script start some extra scripts etc.

Maybe you know the suse-firewall cd?! If we have this make-knoppix
script, a debian user make his own firewall cd. start the script, copy
his firewall script to the chroot and burn the CD.
If after some time some new packages on security.debian.org, he make a
apt-get update or rerun the script and make a new cd.

> > 	I haven't been able to start working on it (it's in my TODO) but I
> > would start by taking the software at knoppix and package it:
> > http://www.knopper.net/download/knoppix/ (if not done already).
> There must be some packages anywhere because if you do a
>        dpkg --get-selections | grep knoppix
> you get a certain list of packages.  We should check these packages for
> DFSG complieance and perhaps make them official.  I hope this would perhaps
> take some workload from Klaus Knopper.

some auf this packages only include some scripts, images etc.

> > 	Notice that some packages will violate Debian's policy [2],
> > however, since they edit other packages (cups, nessus, etc..).
> I see no reason to file wishlist bug reports against those packages to
> enable enough flexibility to comply with normal Debian needs and add all
> extra stuff which is needed for Knoppix.  If I understand Debian right
> we have a bug tracking system which handles technical problems.  In my
> opinion it is a technical problem if a package has to be changed by
> methods which avoid policy to fit certain needs (for instance Knoppix).

and Knoppix is a _live_cd_. On a live cd you don't run apt-get update
(maybe sometime with a layeredfs/mergefs/...) and if you change
something, after the next boot you don't see any changes.

Maybe we should change the policy and some parts about live cd systems.

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"He who says disk space is free, thinks money grows on directory tree."