Re: debconf template translation

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:40:05AM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 01:03:16PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> > It's even *more* important to work with developer when translating
> > everything else as the man pages and so on are part of the package
> > upstream as well as in Debian.

> In your opinion, why are these man pages shipped by manpages-fr
> and not by their respective packages?

The question is (or should be) as much "Why are these man pages not
being shipped by upstream"?  This is the sort of thing where it's
important to work with upstream - there shouldn't be anything Debian
specific about any of these manual pages.

>    arch.1 basename.1 bash.1 cat.1 chgrp.1 chmod.1 chown.1 cksum.1
>    cmp.1 comm.1 cp.1 csplit.1 cut.1 date.1 dd.1 df.1 diff.1 dir.1

and so on...

> Given that some DD do not want to ship translated man pages, I see no
> difference in putting them in manpages-XX and managing them outside of
> Debian.

Looking at the list you've posted I'm surprised that the maintainers
have actually refused to take the translated manual pages - many of the
programs come from util-linux and coreutils both of which already ship
at least message files.  It seems surprising that maintainers who
already include l10n things in their packages would refuse to improve
this functionality further.  What were the reasons?