Re: debconf template translation

Am  3.03.03 um 11:48:18 schrieb Mark Brown:
> Looking at the list you've posted I'm surprised that the maintainers
> have actually refused to take the translated manual pages - many of the
> programs come from util-linux and coreutils both of which already ship
> at least message files.  It seems surprising that maintainers who
> already include l10n things in their packages would refuse to improve
> this functionality further.  What were the reasons?

That's probably a misconception.

In the case of coreutils, the manpages are generated (from the help and
version output, mainly). Translating these is silly, they will _quickly_
get out of sync. The translator would have to look into the build
process, create the *.x files and so on. I doubt that anyone has ever
done this and approached the Debian maintainer or upstream with that.

I don't know about manpages-fr, but I purged manpages-de because I found
myself far too often using "man -L C ..." to get the up-to-date
original.

Bye,
    Mike

--