Re: debconf template translation

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:40:29AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:13:49AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > Yes, for the package integration, this will be the best way. I already
> > make some (bugy) po debconf files for some testing. See
> > http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/template_unstable/beep/templates-de.po
>
> Ah. I was unable to find a link on the webpage. Only tried a couple of
> minutes though.

We don't have a like on the webpages. This are only files for testing
and 'internal' use. If we have test it more and we write some guide for
the maintainer, we make a announcement.

> >  - if a package have a aktiv maintainer, he must choose:
> >    - he can make daily uploads with new/fixed translations, only work
> >      and this all hit the autobuilders
> >    - he can collect some translations stuff and make builds only all
> >      weeks/months
>
> fair enough. But this is not an issue. The deadline is the release - we
> should either have *all* package templates be translated *and*
> integrated by that time, or don't bother with it. Jumping from english
> to another language all the time sure looks pityful.

No, if you don't know english in the best way, you are happy of any
non-english text you can find!

The ddts try to translate importent templates first. Also get a Polish
user: he know Russian as first foreign language. Maybe he like to show
Polish, Russian, German and English in this order...

> I think *technically*, the translated template belong into the package.
> Any objections?

no. I will not avoid any translation in the package itself. This is the
best way.

But the user should not depend on the package maintainer if he like
translation.

A other example: woody is stable and don't include translations for all
packages. What is the problem, if a user install a
'debconf-l10n-de_0.9.woody_all.deb' and get his translations with only
one package?

> So, what to do?
>
> How about you continue filing bugs with translated templates for the
> time being? The release is not anywhere on the horizon.

Why sending bugs to the bts? We have the translations on a central place
and the maintainer only must get it and package it.

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
Ist es nicht jedem selbst überlassen, ob er einen Arbeitsplatz