Re: apt 0.6 in experimental

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 09:58:13PM +0200, George Danchev wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 December 2003 18:53, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > The segfault that people were seeing with 0.6.4 is not the same as the
> > segfault described in #81829 and its many duplicates (which is that apt can
> > crash if the cache .bin files are corrupted).
>
> again, # 81829 (& dups) says 2 things:
> * corrupted *.bin files
> * broken libstdc++

Neither of which have anything to do with upgrading from 0.6.3 to 0.6.4,
which is what others have reported triggered the segfaults, and in fact
there seems to have been a bug introduced, which was fixed in 0.6.6.

Let me reiterate: there was a bug reported which was not #81829.  Please
stop pointing to #81829 as if I do not know about it.

> > If you were seeing segfaults with 0.6.4, please try 0.6.6.
>
> apt 0.6.6 (and apt 0.6.4) does NOT segfault here... on various operation (and
> I think I know how to stress it;). All I can suspect is broken *.bin files
> (these might be check on loading or removed automatically every single time
> when apt program is called) and/or libstdc++ on people's systems it
> segfaults.

0.6.4 did not segfault for me all of the time, either.  It was not an
obvious sort of bug and depended on certain conditions.

> question: Does latest apt remove those *.bin files every time apt <command> is
> issued.

Of course not; I don't know why you would think such a thing.

--
 - mdz