Re: My gpg key and the debian keyring

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Ian Eure wrote:
> On Monday 29 December 2003 03:17 pm, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:08:49PM -0800, Ian Eure wrote:
> > > luck. I was informed that simply sending the key to the keyserver ('gpg
> > > --send-keys') would update it, but this doesn't seem to be the case, as
> > > the key listed there is not the one I sent.
> >
> > That only automatically updates existing keys, it can't add new ones
> > automatically (how would it know which ones to add?).
> >
> It's the same key (same fingerprint & ID), but updated to remove the
> expiration date & some dead UIDs. It sends fine, but the key on the keyserver
> is never updated.

As far as I know, removing UIDs is impossible. Revoke them (you can revoke
an UID without revoking the others, OR the key itself). Make a backup copy
of your keys, and play with gpg a bit.

As for removing the expiration date, this usually must be applied BEFORE the
key expires in the first place (I don't know if that's your case).

AFAIK the updates are not applied automatically.  The keyring maint has to
go over and "ok" them I think.

  Henrique Holschuh