Re: recovery status update

Op di 30-12-2003, om 01:59 schreef Colin Watson:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:57:50PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 07:06:13PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> > > - how to run madison and wanna-build
> [...]
> > Is there any progress on any of the above?
>
> I've almost finished writing a tool with the same interface as madison
> that works on Packages and Sources files, so can be run on any mirror.
> (Naturally it's slower than the real thing.) I'll put it up for
> experimentation shortly.

That's not good enough. What makes madison interesting is _not_ its
interface; rather, the fact that the information is up-to-date with the
latest uploads.

Madison has been a great help to me many times when people started
asking questions on m68k-build about whether or not their packages were
uploaded. It's happened that wanna-build contained slightly incorrect
information (due to network outages between a buildd and the wanna-build
database, human errors, and other such things that cannot easily be
worked around by programming). In such situations, the ability to check
whether a certain package is in the archive _now_ can be invaluable to
do my work in a reasonable way. Losing that ability in the name of
"security" is not acceptable.

I can live with a "madison" -or similar- tool on another host being
_slightly_ out-of-sync (say, at max 15 minutes or so), or with a
web-interface that would replace madison for non-admins; but having to
wait a full day (or rather, a full mirror pulse) for this kind of
information being available is just too much. I know how to grep through
a Packages- and a Sources-file, and compare them (there're packages
called 'grep-dctrl' and 'quinn-diff' for a reason), but that's not the
point.

--
Wouter Verhelst
Most people have two reasons for doing anything -- a good reason, and