Re: So many packages. So few that I need started at every boot.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:07:50 +0800, Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

So many packages, so few that I need started at every boot.

So I file wishlist bugs "please add a debconf item to not start at boot".

Do various things that change the links in /etc/rc.*, I was told.  Uh
huh, lasted until the next upgrade of that package.  It would be
better to do things that the maintainer expected we users would do.

Well, just remove and reinstall when you want to use the package, some
say.  But that is a drag with just a modem, CDs, and then one can't
just apt-get dist-upgrade to say fresh (via apt-zip, for me).

Couldn't you use different runlevels to achieve this?

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-Land.com