Re: Proposed change to debian release system

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 08:38:39AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> I'd like to propose some changes to the stable release policy (ps it would
> be nice if the policy is linked from http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/).
>
> I'd like for certain packages to be classed as "perishable", i.e. they
> become more or less useless with age. How packages should be classsed as
> such, I'm not 100% sure on yet (-devel+maintainer+SRM consenus, perhaps?),
> but to provide some examples:
>
> 	* spamassassin
> 	* snort
>
> could be considered perishable because their effectiveness is reduced over
> time. Such classed packages should be allowed to be updated in stable, I
> feel. Of course, it could be argued that any package is perishable, and thus
> this whole thing becomes a moot point...

SpamAssassin in unstable depends on a version of libhtml-parser-perl
more recent than the one in unstable.

I didn't find in your suggestion the paragraph that handles such
dependencies that might (if you upgrade libhtml-parser-perl in this
example) affect many hundreds unrelated packages.

> Andrew

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.