Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 05:03:55AM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Kevin Kreamer <kevin@kreamer.org>
>
> > In the case of a NetBSD libc, you could use
>
> > Debian NBSD/NBSD
>
> > basically having the first half signify which libc is used.
>
> Wouldn't that be a major retcon? AFAIU the "GNU/" in Debian GNU/Linux
> says that we're using GNU userland tools such as cp, mv, diff, cc,
> make, nroff, etc. That's prominently visible to users; the libc is a
> technical detail that most users wouldn't care about unless it breaks.

Hardly.  Guess which *roff, gcc, diff, tar, etc. is there in *BSD?  And
considering the state of coreutils...  not much to boast there.

About the only thing that gives any real weight to "GNU/" stuff is glibc -
the rest is either common on all free Unices (and GNU doesn't see that
as grounds for claim on renaming *BSD to GNU/*BSD) or... well, less than
impressive, to put it mildly.

IOW, about the only way GNU/Linux as a port name makes sense is "what libc
do we have here"/"what kernel does it run on".