Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

[I am not subscribed to debian-bsd.]

On Dec 17, 2003, at 10:20, Branden Robinson wrote:
Given that we're going to be saddled with with a comprehension problem
anyway, I say we abandon the effort to be descriptive in the product
name.  I proposed having a correlation between the first letter of the
product name and the underlying BSD variant simply as a mnemonic
convenience for people who already know what the products are supposed
to be.

We don't have to *completely* give up the effort to be descriptive. How about just calling it:

Debian GNU/NBSD
Debian GNU/FBSD
Debian GNU/OBSD (if there's ever an OpenBSD port)

It would have the advantage of being recognizable to most people, without actually using 'NetBSD' or so anywhere in the name.

[ The following suggestion is possibly flameworthy. Please consider the above separate from the below. ]

In the case of a NetBSD libc, you could use

Debian NBSD/NBSD

basically having the first half signify which libc is used. However, if Debian is always going to use the GNU/ prefix, then perhaps make it something like

Debian GNU/NBSD/NBSD

with the third part signifying the libc used.

Kevin