Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 04:08:41AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > ... It only stands to reason that if both the KDE and Gnome desktop
> > camps wish to formalize on the format that we should adopt it as
> > well, if only as an extension of our menu system.  We would
> > have to generate .desktop files anyway, when Gnome and KDE move form
> > their own native menu formats.
>
> 	You talk as if the whole universe of window managers is merely
>  gnome and kde.

I understand how you might get that, but you have to admit that they are
the most visible of the desktop environments.  I didn't mention window
managers specifically because I don't see the need to make the
distinction in this case.  The .desktop files has the same goal and
focus as a .menu file -- providing a convenient interface to finding and
launching applications, so let's keep that the focus of the discussion.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/