Re: debian pxe dhcp netinstall (debconf enterprise fai etc.)

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:37:49PM -0800, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> I did what you are trying to do using systemimager, cvs, and cvsup.
> ...  There are a few rough spots (mostly in that I don't have a fully
> automatic way to restart daemons that have been updated in the golden
> client, so I have to restart them by hand), but in general it works
> very well, and has saved me a lot of time.

This is all very well and find if you're using a single architecture
with nearly identical hardware setups.  Granted, with discover and
read-edid, things are a little easier.

When you need extreme customizability in installs, FAI does a very good
job.  It "feels" like a kludge at times, but once you wrap your head
around the process, it's actually pretty easy to follow.  For your
debconf database, you could always create a quick script to copy over an
existing database.  Or you could possibly look into hacking on the LDAP
backend for debconf.

I was intrigued by Progeny's autoinstall Python script, but never had a
chance to look into it further.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/