Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:27:50PM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:
> Andrew Suffield (asuffield@debian.org):
>
> > > Are there any technical complaints about it?  (Apart from "I don't
> > > like the .desktop extension", which I consider unimportant.)
> >
> > It doesn't support anything but gnome or kde. We have a system that
> > works for everything, and it is unlikely that anybody else will go to
> > that much trouble.
>
>   Can you back this up?  The desktop and menu standards seem to have a
> lot of support in the window manager developer community.  Furthermore,
> it would be pretty trivial to convert the Debian system over to .desktop
> files (even more trivial than the other way around).

"A lot of support" doesn't mean dick. We have a complete working system.

Go through all the things in Debian that install stuff into
/etc/menu-methods/, and count how many of them support .desktop files.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |