Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Andrew Suffield (asuffield@debian.org):

> > Are there any technical complaints about it?  (Apart from "I don't
> > like the .desktop extension", which I consider unimportant.)
>
> It doesn't support anything but gnome or kde. We have a system that
> works for everything, and it is unlikely that anybody else will go to
> that much trouble.

  Can you back this up?  The desktop and menu standards seem to have a
lot of support in the window manager developer community.  Furthermore,
it would be pretty trivial to convert the Debian system over to .desktop
files (even more trivial than the other way around).

  -Billy