Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 05:56:24AM -0600, "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 12:09:16PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > The goal has to be a clean Debian install and no Knoppix-like hack.
>
> I'm not claiming you disagree with this but I think that the goal
> should rather be to work within the Debian system to create a space
> for Custom distributions *and* bootable CDs (custom, vanilla,
> whatever) in a way that removes any need for Knoppix-like hacks.

I'm inclined to agree.  I need both.

Knoppix4Kids (http://www.osef.org), the only 'live CD' custom distribution
of Debian Jr., is a reality today.  And although I know it is not ideal, I
feel I have no choice but to use this in my work.

You see, I am working on an outreach program for the new year with OSEF.  It
will be a series of sessions at my public library's computer lab that will
introduce new families to Debian Jr.  If successful, I hope this program can
be replicated in other communities around the world.

This program will at first make use of these CDs becaues there currently is
no solution yet in Debian proper.  It gives the participants a version of
Debian Jr. they can use immediately, both at the library and at home.
Unfortunately this means I rely on a hack (K4K) on top of a hack (Knoppix)
which takes me much farther away from 'pure Debian' than I want to be.

Naturally, a pure Debian solution would have a number of benefits.  I could
produce an up-to-date version with backports without relying on these other
projects, we could all avoid a lot of duplication of development effort, and
it gives the users a better supported system.  Take, for example, the issue
of where bugs get filed -- Against K4K?  Against Knoppix?  Against Debian?
In the end, I think I'm going to have to provide a lot of the support
personally, acting as a filter for their problem reports so that they go
back to the right people.  This is hardly a sustainable model of support,
nor one I would recommend to be attempted anywhere other than my pilot
project.

Ben Armstrong, Debian Jr. Project Leader
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@debian.org