Re: exec-shield (maybe ITP kernel-patch-exec-shield)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Peter Busser wrote:
> > I for one, do (especially since I have Russell's word that it would work
> > quite well along with SE Linux).
>
> It is nice to hear that Russell changed his mind after the previous dicussion.

I am not implying he said PaX would not need patch merge changes to apply,
mind you.  Just that PaX would enhance the security of a SELinux system, and
that the two can conceptually work well together.

> Debian testing worked on a test system with the Adamantix kernel-image package
> (which obviously includes PaX with the most restrictive settings enabled). X
> breaks, but it breaks on exec-shield too.

This is the kind of thing that would make the adoption slow. We'd need to
fix it, and fix it properly.

> meet high levels of assurance anyway. But as someone else pointed out already,
> the risk for backdoors in important packages is too big in the long run.

To fix that you just need a QA layer, like progenity had.

  Henrique Holschuh